Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It's stopped printing black. And the test page only shows…

Hi Josh. It's...

Hi Josh. It's stopped printing black. And the test page only shows some black,adn some blue. It's an HP 2544.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried running your printer's self-cleaning cycle? (Sometimes you have to run this several times to see results.)

Hmm, I changed the ink cartridge, and it did some kind of self-check. Is that the same thing?

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried wiping down the metal contacts on your printer and cartridges?

No. I'll try that now. Cotton ball and alcohol?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Uhm, nope.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. This is an independent, pay-per-question, fee-based technical support site.

My name is ***** ***** I will help you now.

Have you replaced all the ink cartridges with new in the past 10 days? If not , about when were they replaced?

NOTE: To reply to me, please type your message in the box below and click the button to send.

I replaced the cartridge on Friday when this problem first happened. I first replaced the black, and then the color. Neither helped. I'm using HP printer cartridges. I also tried turning it off and leaving it off for more than 30 minutes. I followed the instructions and put the test page on the scanner, and pushed the copy button, and that just made the same page print out again.

Are you able to use the buttons and small screen on the printer to navigate to maintenance/clean on the settings and try to do a head clean or ink system cleaning operation?

I just did what the assistant suggested and cleaned the connection between the cartridge and the printer with alcohol a q-tip. Hey I've got a question, I'll have to go in about ten minutes, for an hour. Can I just come back to this and continue then... if we run out of time?
Okay, I just used the HP Utility and told it to clean the print heads, which it is now doing...
There is no black showing on the test page... So I told it to go to Level 2 cleaning...
The colors look perfect tho...
That's finished. Still no black printing on the page. Now what?

Please take out the black cartridge. Tell me the number on the side of the cartridge. Also ensure it is stamped with an HP logo. Also tell me where you purchased it. thanks.

61XL. I bought it from Costco. It has the HP Logo.
Are you there?
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Please. It's still not working.

How old is the printer?

It's about two years old. 2-3 I think.
I tried switching the printer preferences to black and white, and it printed out a blank page. (in other words, if it can't use color nothing comes across at all).

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one. You can purchase a new one for around $50-$60 at a local electronics store such as Best Buy.

by "internal failure" you mean a program issue? Do you think there's any point uninstalling and re-installing the drivers?

No, there is no point uninstalling and installing -- It is not software based; it is hardware based.

Bummer... Okay. Well thanks for helping me out with this!

You're welcome -- I apologize that I had to deliver the bad news to you. Please understand that we do not like to deliver bad news because our rating on the site is based on the feedback of our customers so bad news situations are difficult to deal with. Thankfully, a large majority of our customers are understanding that we are just messengers in the situation and do not take it out on the rating system.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Harry, Engineer
Thanks!