Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I am getting a "printer error" Kodak Easy Share 5500. Since…

Customer Question
I am getting a...

I am getting a "printer error"

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Kodak Easy Share 5500

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Kodak printer?

Since I changed ink cartridges

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I have never done this. I had no idea. I am actually trying to scan.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/12/2018
Technician: Eldon, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Eldon
Eldon, Engineer

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

can you tell me the specific error code/message you're getting on the printer?

It just says "printer error. Turn off then on again" and when I do that nothing changes.
I would like secure remote assistance.
Are you still there?

There should be a code/number showing on the printers own display screen, such as 3806 for example.

This is most likely a hardware issue that cannot be fixed remotely in the first place. I really need the exact message to know for sure.

There is no code number. I told you exactly what my screen says.

Thank you for checking

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Eldon
Eldon
Eldon, Engineer