Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My printer isin "error mode" I cannot print from my

My printer isin "error...

My printer isin "error mode" I cannot print from my computer.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wirelessly

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Tried to do that yesterday but could not.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Comcast installed a new modem. the printer required a "password *****" The password ***** the modem didn't work for that phrase

3/12/2018
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

i tried that yesterday but if it will make you happy I'll do it again.
seriously? 5 bucks to tell me to unplug?

It was just the first step.. if you did this step then there is no reason to do it again...

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

this is really a network situation. the printer works as a copier. It is part of my configuration. It has worked for several years. Comcast installed a new modem and I've have trouble ever since. On the printer network setup it needed a "password *****" I have a password, but not a phrase. needless to say the password ***** the modem didn't work
Windows 10 on computer.

The passphrase is the wifi password ***** your computer.

Is your windows computer connected to the wifi network?

I may need help finding the wifi password. I have a rough idea but can't find where I wrote it down.

Thanks

We can get the password ***** the windows computer

Press the windows key + R and type in

ncpa.cpl

Press enter

Right click on the wireless connection and click on Status

Then click on wireless properties

Click on the Security Tab and then click on Show Characters and you can then see the wireless password ***** to use

Let me know the results

what do you mean windows key + R?

The windows key is the one with the windows logo on it, next to Alt, you hold this then you press R

the run box then shows to type in

OK Got it. It is one of my guesses Now what?

Now connect your printer to the new wifi network using that password

Printer message: An error occurred while setting up the network through protected mode.

Remove the power to your wifi router, wait 5 minutes, connect the power and tell me if it then connects please

now i have authentication error. Printed report
wireless on pass
wireless working pass
network name found pass
Security FAIL

This means the password ***** ***** entered in incorrectly.

Please carefully enter it in from the Windows computer we got before, ensuring the password ***** ***** as it shows

So passWORD ***** ***** to PASSword

Hooray! it just printed my test document. thank you. I hope it keeps working. Thank you.

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Richard, Technician