Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an MFC-7420 needing to be set up to answer only

I have an MFC-7420...

I have an MFC-7420 needing to be set up to answer only faxes.

Technician's Assistant: Are your device's other functions (printing, copying, scanning, etc.) working fine?

It will copy fine. Haven't used it as a ptr or for scanning since moving the office.

Technician's Assistant: When did this fax issue begin?

Since connecting it to a shared line.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I have no reason to believe there might be anything else. Just want to know how to set it up as well as change the fax & phone #s that it xmits.

3/12/2018
Robert M., Consultant

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question. All I ask is that you please give me a 5 star rating when satisfied. thank you :)

i am looking through the manual give me a minute

Tnx

ok to set it to only receive faxes on a dedicated fax line ( no voice calls )

1 Press Menu/Set, 0, 1.

2 Press ▲ or ▼ to select Fax Only,

3 Press Stop/Exit.

It is a shared line w/voice.
It is a shared line w/voice. Used to be on its own line & that is what it is set for now.

ok i had it backwards

so what do you want it to do?

you can answer manually or have it answer on so many rings

all options are in the same place as the fax only as above. just pick the one you want

to change the transmit number

1 Press Menu/Set, 0, 3.

2 Enter your fax number (up to 20 digits). Press Menu/Set.

3 Enter your telephone number (up to 20 digits). Press Menu/Set

this would look to be the setting if you mostly get faxes and want it to answer every call and take the fax or the fax machine will ring for you to pick up if it is not a fax

Fax/Tel (fax and telephone) (with an external or extension telephone) The MFC controls the line and automatically answers every call. If the call is a fax it will receive the fax. If the call is not a fax it will ring (pseudo/double ring) for you to pick up the call. Use this mode if you expect to receive lots of fax messages and few telephone calls. You cannot have an answering machine on the same line, even if it is on a separate wall jack on the same line. You cannot use the telephone company’s Voice Mail in this mod

this is the manual

the fax settings for the receive mode and ring delay are on pages 57 and 58

the beginning of chapter 4

http://download.brother.com/welcome/doc000387/ALLFB_UsaEngUsr_B.pdf

if that is helpful to you i would really appreciate if you would take a moment to give me a 5 star rating. Your rating is the only way that i can receive any credit from this site

thank you.

I will. This machine will not work w/a phone recorder?

the problem you run into is that one of the machines has to pick up. they cant both pick up the same call

there is one option for having an extension phone attached to the fax machine. the fax will pick up. if it is NOT a fax it will ring the extension phone to tell you to pick up. in this mode you can tell it how many rings to pick up on.

the other option is to put an answering machine on the extension line. the answering machine picks up every call and there may be a button to press for the caller to leave a fax or the fax recognizes the tone. all of your calls will either leave a fax or a voice message. you wont get any voice calls to answer at the time of the call.

the last option is manual. it will not pick up unless you hit the button saying it is a fax.

are you still with me?

we can speak on the phone and go over your options if thats more convenient

if i have answered all of your questions i would really appreciate the 5 star rating. thank you.

What I need is to have the 2 machines working together when I am not in. In the distant past, I seem to remember the fax taking the call. If there were no tones, it would ring thru & the recorder would answer. Will this not operate in this manner?
Also, where do I rate you?

that would be the external tad mode

but it makes things difficult if you want to pick up a phone at the time of the call

i think i would experiment

the fax/tel setting might work.

if you have a phone plugged into the answering machine and the answering machine plugged into the fax

it might give you a few rings to pick up when it goes to the answer machine and then the answering machine would pick up

but its not really designed to do that and it would depend on whether the answering machine registered the double ring the fax is putting off as a ring to pick up after so many of them

and i am honestly not sure where to rate me

there should be a pop up or a place on the page to select stars for me.

or if nothing else if you could please put in "i rate 5 stars" i can get it done manually

thanks

OK. I'll dnld the manual & hope to get it to work the way I want. Thanks for your help.Robert M rates 5 stars.
Michael Lang

thanks I will see if i can get that put in manually

thank you :)

Robert M., Consultant