Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Artisan 50 doesn't recognize new Epson Cyan 77 cartridge. In…

Artisan 50 doesn't recognize...

Artisan 50 doesn't recognize new Epson Cyan 77 cartridge

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? If so, what do they say?

In the printer utility 4 (macbook pro) : "Ink cartridges cannot be recognized cyan: 78/77

Technician's Assistant: The last time you changed your cartridges, did you replace them with new ones or refill the old ones?

New ones

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it

3/12/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Engineer

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
same result. yellow light. pointing to the cyan cartridge. What next?

Thank you for checking,

do you have another new cartridge you can try?
At this point you have either a bad cartridge or a bad printhead, so replacing the cartridge would be the next step to isolate that further.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to buy a new cartridge tomorrow.

No problem, take your time.

However, I will caution you up front that this is not a guaranteed fix. It is more likely a hardware issue, so may not be worth even the gamble on a cartridge, as they aren't cheap either. Given that this is a 2009 model printer, it is now 3 times its designed service life. If the printhead is bad, it would cost $200+ to repair, while you could buy a brand new printer with a fresh warranty for less. If you'd prefer to go that route, which may be more practical in the long run, I can recommend replacement options for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, I'm already stuck with a full set of cartridges at a hundred bucks so I figure I may as well throw another 20 at it in order just to find out if I might get lucky. If after I have exchanged the cartridge, as you suggested, I have no luck in the printer still doesn't work, then I take the printer to the landfill and stop having inkjet printers all together and go for a black and white LaserJet if you know of a good laser printer you can suggest I would most appreciate it then my work with you will be done. PS no one locally carried individual cyan cartridges so I had to order it direct from Epson it should be arriving first part of next week. I don't want to close the case until I find out if that does the job. Certainly don't mean to hang you up.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your response, I will get back to you as soon as I have the cartridge in hand and have tried it out.

You're very welcome, and best of luck!

Eldon
Eldon, Engineer
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Eldon did a great job. Polite, patient, and right on the money. I got the new replacement cartridge plugged it in, reloaded the software and mirabile dictu it worked. Thanks a lot and I will certainly use you again.

Great! Glad that did the trick for you!

Eldon
Eldon
Eldon, Engineer