Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Brother J885DW that I bought August 2017, serial #

I have a Brother...

I have a Brother J885DW that I bought August 2017, serial # U6469A7HI tried to scan and got a message

Technician's Assistant: Is there an error code on your J885DW when you try to scan?

When I tried to scan I got a msg in the printer dialogue box saying: the software that was supplied with this machine must be installed. I didn't do the installation. Tech support at Staples where I bought it installed the printer to my laptop. I guess I can scan until this software is installed.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I don't know. Since I

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't know since I bought a mere 7 months ago.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/11/2018
Sudipto, Engineer

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP

Are you replying me from the same PC?

Sudipto, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is an iMac book pro, operating system OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Thanks, ***** ***** for my instructions to start the remote support.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you need to call me on my land phone:(###) ###-####

No need for that, one more information I need, which browser you are using at present, like Safari, Chrome etc.?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Chrome although I also have Safari but I prefer Chrome

Thanks, ***** *****

Now, click the link below to open it then, click the green "I Agree" button to download the Elsinore Remote Client File, you will see the file downloading at the bottom of the Chrome window after the file download completes, open or run that file to start the remote session.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=b525684e-b2a2-4566-9c14-cf5eb2e93573&Type=Java

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't download Elsinore.ScreenConnect.ClientBookstrap.jnlp" because my security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers. According to the screen msg I got, Elsinore is an unidentified developer

Follow the steps from the link below then, try to run the application once more.

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=25443

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can't download it either because Symantec is not an identified developer

From where does Symantec come from?? I just asked you to follow the steps from the last link, so that you can run the Elsinore Client file. Did you follow the steps to select 'Anywhere' in the security settings?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Symantec immediately popped up when I went to the last link you sent me: kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=25443.
I clicked on the "I Agree" button and immediately the Symantec link shows on my screen with the message that I can't download this because it is not an identified developer. I clicked on the "I Agree" button for Elsinore and the same message appears

Follow these steps first and then, let me know.

1. Open the System Preferences. This can be done by either clicking on the System Preferences icon in the Dock or by going to Apple Menu > System Preferences.

2. Open the Security & Privacy pane by clicking Security & Privacy.

3. Make sure that the General tab is selected. Click the icon labeled Click the lock to make changes.

4. Enter your username and password ***** the prompt that appears and click Unlock.

5. Under the section labeled Allow applications downloaded from:, select Anywhere. On the prompt that appears, click Allow From Anywhere.

6. Exit System Preferences by clicking the red button in the upper left of the window. You should now be able to install applications downloaded from the internet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mission completed. Now do I go back to the original Elsinore link? Or the second link with wise.edu help

Elsinore link.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't see the download in Safari which was the app that first appeared. But I found it my Google Chrome. I have it on my desktop now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I tried to open the download I got another message: I need to add Java Runtime which I've never heard of

Yes, you need to download and run the Java runtime for the app.Can we continue tomorrow as I am facing some technical problem on my side, which is interfering the communication with you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This has turned out to last MUCH longer than anticipated. It is very complicated. I want a refund of $39 that I spent earlier. I'm not complaining about you and I do appreciate the time you've spent me with. I will take my printer back to where I bought it and where they installed the software. THank you anyway. I will call the 800 number to request the refund.
Sudipto, Engineer