Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon pixma pro 9000; five flashes on light. I cleaned the…

Customer Question
Canon pixma pro 9000...

Canon pixma pro 9000; five flashes on ***** *****ght. I cleaned the printhead with water and alcohol.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

PC Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Pixma?

About a month.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

It’s always up to date with the latest op system.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
3/11/2018
Technician: Eldon, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Eldon
Eldon, Engineer

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well over 3 times its designed maximum service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $500; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at another $300. For less you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Eldon

Thanks for your response. I did try the cleaning route last night from a post I found on a blog. Long process and I thought it looked like new but it didn’t fix it. I was hoping you may have a better idea but it doesn’t sound like there’s any magic bullet. I don’t feel like this response is really worth the $18 I was charged. I’m happy to pay a small amount.

I'm sorry for the news, but no there is no magic bullet here and to be honest one can really not be reasonably expected for a printer of this age, they just weren't designed for a 10 year lifespan.

I have no control over any of the costs or site matters. It is a flat rate fee based on what you agreed to up front. We're all independent techs here working in good faith to provide an answer based on that. To ask for a refund, or discount, would be asking me to work for free for my time spent advising you with an honest answer. For comparison, had you gone to a repair shop, you'd be charged a minimum of a $100 diagnostic fee for the exact same answer.

If you'd like more help with parts or replacement recommendations, I'd be happy to assist with that as well.

Thank you,

Eldon