Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I am trying to print on a disc with my ip8720 from an iMac.

I am trying to...

I am trying to print on a disc with my ip8720 from an iMac. It used to work just fine some time ago but now even though I have selected a disc as the paper source it thinks it's printing on paper. I don't get the proper dialog boxes for disc printing. After selecting disc as the medium it still shows paper as the medium and won't print. I have tried 3 different softwares and all fail.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

USB

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Unknown

3/11/2018
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still cannot get my printer to use a disc as the "paper" source, it insists on printing on paper even though I have selected disc as the source.

With the printer powered on, remove the power cord from the back.

Wait 2 minutes

Plug back in the power cord and power it on

Do you still have the error?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That did not help. One program can't find the printer, and the other program, a new one I just downloaded, wants to print on paper even though it has been told it's to print on a disk. Now what?

Have you tried uninstalling the printer and installing it back?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I downloaded the printer driver and re-installed it. That didn't help.

Press and hold the RESUME/CANCEL button, then release the button when the POWER lamp flashes white 9 times.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried that a couple of times, didn't work. Everything in the software is set for disc printing but it still wants paper at the last moment. I get an error message which says it is printing so-and-so file on a disc but it also says "support code 1851 press resume button." Pressing the resume button does nothing. It seems that the printer knows that it's printing on a disc but at the last moment wants paper.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That worked! I feel so foolish and embarrassed that I didn't tell you the error message sooner and saved all this back and forth. The message to insert the disc comes up in the form of an error message and the resume button flashes yellow and I have to press it after inserting the disc but it works and that's the main thing. Thank you for your patience.

Awesome!

Please use the star rating at the top to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit

Harry, Engineer
Harry, Engineer