Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My iP4700 ink-jet printer will not print. It is giving me an…

My iP4700 ink-jet printer...

My iP4700 ink-jet printer will not print. It is giving me an error message: 5B00. What is that error message?

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your IP4700: wirelessly or by USB?

It has a cable and USB connection.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I don't think that I've ever updated the printer driver software.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that's it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My mobile phone is NOT a smart phone. My plan does NOT include much of a data plan, so I don't want to download your app. Please send me the answer to my e-mail address. If you cannot operate in that format, please cancel my account immediately.
3/10/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Engineer

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble with the printer,

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 7 year old model, that was built for a service life of no more than 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Eldon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eldon,I realize that my printer is quite old, so your response is not surprising. I also agree that it's not worth fixing it that is the case. Can you recommend a replacement printer that uses the same ink cartridges (i.e., Canon 220/221)?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I do NOT want secure remote assistance troubleshooting my inoperable printer. Please just send info regarding potential replacement printers (preferably models that use the same ink cartridges).

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response.

There are NO printers that use the same ink cartridges, and have not been any made for over 6 years now.

Canon purposely changes them every year or two to force you to keep buying more.

Even if there were, there are no current model canon printers I would recommend, their quality has gone down considerably in recent years.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Eldon

Eldon
Eldon, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eldon,Are all of the currently available Epson workforce series printers wireless or do some of the models still use USB cables?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eldon,The above is my FINAL question. When I clicked on the link that you sent, it appeared that all of the available models were wireless. I just wanted to know if any of the available models still use USB cables.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eldon,Had you responded to my "final question", I would have given you "5 Stars" for your series of responses. I thought that your response was quite good and the links that you provided were informative. However, I was annoyed that you didn't respond to my final question, so you get "4 Stars".

Hello, sorry I missed you earlier, I had gone offline for the night and didn't realize you had more questions.

Yes they all still can use usb, as well as wifi or ethernet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eldon,
I bought a replacement printer (Epson XP-640); did the printer set-up; and connected it to my system via the cable & USB port.

Thank you for the update, glad you have a working printer again.

Eldon
Eldon
Eldon, Engineer