Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

HP ENVY printer will not let me copy. Screen says document…

Customer Question
HP ENVY printer will...

HP ENVY printer will not let me copy. Screen says document feeder not able to pick up original. I am not using document feeder.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

I already specified . HP ENVY 7640.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Envy?

A few days and happens intermittantly every few days. Printer is full of problems. It is fairly new purchased from staples.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
a manual would be nice. Very very poor documentation. Note I am a printer engineer with 20 years experience . HP printers used to be fine, no longer.
I reset the printer. Reset the computer. Disconnected AC, etc.
3/11/2018
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printer copying question.

I think that if it insists on the document feeder, one way of getting around the problem (as opposed to actually fixing it) would be to always use the document feeder... that is, if it is still working.

I think the obstinate doc. feeder message relates to a scrap of paper in the document feeder, or a paper presence sensor or switch in the document feeder on top of the printer actually sensing something - fluff, dust, debris, maybe real paper, a scrap of it even perhaps - or the switch may be fouled, or jammed in the active position, or the document feeder's associated control circuitry inside the printer may be doing faulty processing amounting to 'I think there is paper in the document feeder'.

So go through appropriate measures to open, examine, inspect closely, blow out and clean out the document feeder's inner parts - covers may be folded back to do this - while the HP machine is unplugged.

As for a manual for your model (not a service manual, but still something):

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04426138

is the User Guide, and

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04426091

is the Reference Guide.

Service manuals for HP printers are very often not available - held proprietary in fact - but if you need one I will seek one; just let me know in Reply. And let me know how the above recommendations go, in Reply, and I will advise and help further as much as possible.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.