Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an HP Officejet 6500a. I am printing from a desktop…

Customer Question
Hello I have an...

Hello I have an HP Officejet 6500a

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

I am printing from a desktop computer when I go to print I am getting the message to load paper even though there is paper in the tray I am having to insert a sheet at a time to get anything printed Thanks Kevin

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your OfficeJet?

The last few days

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I don't know how to do that Microsoft did it for me a few months ago when I had a problem

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
3/10/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Clean all of the rubber rollers and wheels with a soft cloth or cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol (surgical spirits) Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.