Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Have message "A printers ink pad is at end of its life" what…

Have message "A printers...

Have message "A printers ink pad is at end of its life" what does this entail

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Epson XP 710

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Epson printer?

About the last week

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Can't remember but more than likely haven't done so

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 9 year old model, that was built for a service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

I don't know what you're saying no to?

I sent you a written answer, above.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no I don't want to proceed with extra costs and will close out on enquiry.

I did not ask you to.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.
You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question.

The written answer is above.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer