Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 colour printer. When I try…

Customer Question
Hi, I have an...

Hi, I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 colour printer. When I try to print a colour page, I get a message saying "printer is off line". I don't understand why, as I just changed the cartridges. Can you explain?

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your OfficeJet: wirelessly or by USB?

USB

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I don't remember

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes, I keep paying $4.51 per month (including HST) but I hardly use this printer. Why should I be charged this monthly amount?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
3/8/2018
Technician: Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist replied 4 months ago
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

You are charging for HP Instant Ink. You can print up to 50 pages for $2.99 a month, 100 pages for $4.99 a month or 300 pages for $9.99 a month.

May I know the operating system you are using? Is it Windows 10?

Are you able to copy like Xerox (photocopy) without using the computer?

Are you able to print black from the computer?

Thank you.

They are charging actually CAD$3.99 plus HST per month.
I use Windows 10.
I can make copies on the HP printer without using the computer.
I am not able to print black on the colour printer

How do you connect the printer to the computer? Using USB cable?

Can I access your computer remotely and check the issue?

Thank you.

There should be a way to fix this without extra charges!!!

First, try the following.

1. Unplug all cables (including printer USB cable) and memory cards from the printer. Unplug the power cord, directly from the back of the printer while the printer is still turned on.

2. Unplug the other end of the cord from the power source. If there is a power module on the power cord, disconnect one end and reconnect it.

3. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then, wait for two minutes.

4. After two minutes, plug the cord directly into a wall outlet (not a surge protector or battery backup as they can cause the printer to lose basic functionality over time).

5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.

6. The printer should automatically power back up. If it doesn't, turn it on with the power button.

7. Try making a photocopy (if your printer is an all-in-on printer) before connecting any other cables to the printer.

8. Connect any other needed cables to the printer.

Try printing again and let me know the result.

Thank you.

I made a colour copy, but I still can't print from a file

Please restart the computer too, and check the response.

Thank you.