Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I changed a cartridge and now the printer will not work. It…

I changed a cartridge...

I changed a cartridge and now the printer will not work. It comes up saying printer error turn off then turn on, but nothing happens.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

XP400

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

Yes I can open the cover but nothing happens

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just get it started please

3/8/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me the full error code/number showing on the printer display?

Printer error.
Turn power off and on again
turn off.
That is all that appears on the printer

It should show a specific number, such as 0x97 or 0x10 for example

When I turn it on it makes a high pitch oooo then a click and nothing. There is no number just what I wrote before.

Thank you for checking,

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

it is now working. The carriage was stuck but after I removed paper, turned off at the power point for 5 minutes the carriage started to move again. It has successfully printed.
Thank you.
Marie

Great! Glad that did the trick for you, Marie!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer