Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

We have an epson workforce WF_7620 printer and the quality…

Hi, we have an...

Hi, we have an epson workforce WF_7620 printer and the quality of the printing has suddenly become unreadable. I had the same problem with an epson printer last year and it was replaced at no charge.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your WorkForce: wirelessly or by USB?

USB and wi-fi i think as i have the usb cable plugged in. This is what comes up when choosing to print

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Every time it tells me to do so and i think yesterday it did from memory.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think if this one is replaced also as we did with the last one it will do the same thing in another year. We run a building business from home and need to print out house plans so i am not sure if this is too much for this printer capabilities. Maybe theres a better option for us to upgrade to as we need printer availability for home business. thanks We need a4 & A3 trays for plans to be printed. Copying and Scanning option needed also

3/6/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For the same price you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

thanks . i have already been through the cleaning processes a few times now and it improves for 1 more print and then bad again after that.
thanks for your help but i think it best if i just phone epson and speak with them

You're very welcome,

you can certainly contact them, but if it is more than a year old they won't provide any help.

Nathan, Engineer