Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Not printing black ink. HP1050-j410. It started a couple of…

Not printing black ink ...

Not printing black ink

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

HP1050-j410

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

It started a couple of months ago and I just stopped using it.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Mac OSX 10.13 upgraded 2 weeks ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

My o

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/5/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

It is normal to see the black nozzles fail first as they get the most use, especially on such an old model.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Last night my other printer ran out of ink so I thought I would give the hp 1050 a try just to see if it would work because I needed to finish that job. I was only one page and it printed perfectly. Tonight I wanted to print a letter and the black would only print faintly or partly (only the lower part of characters showing. Color was fine
No thanks, ***** ***** just keep trying on my own. Thanks

I don't know what you are saying no to.

I don't want to pay $39 right now.

I'm not asking you to.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.
You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question.

I sent a written answer and step by step instructions above, 20 minutes ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Thanks for checking back with me. I did, once, use the built in clean function when the problem first occurred but was not totally pleased with the result. I plan to get back to it and try whatever I can to get it working again. However, it has been one of those weeks that seemed like it would have been a luxury to have 5 minutes to myself, much less trying to have time to accomplish something I wanted to do! Hopefully will get back to it in the next few days and will let you know how it goes,
Thanks for the update and best of luck to you!
Nathan, Engineer