Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an XP820. When I print. it appears something wrong…

Hi there, I...

Hi there, I have an XP820. When I print. it appears something wrong with anything black I have new ink cartridges i both the Black & Photo Black holders, but it still is printing poorly; in fact, one cannot read what is written. I have changed the color of the font and it seems ok with that change.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Epson XP820...thought I had said that, my apology

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your XP820?

30+ days....

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I do not recall ever doing so....??

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Think that is it for now. I also have another printer (HP Laser) I used for years, but since it went into not working mode, using the little EPSON entirely.

3/1/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Engineer

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into if not past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Eldon

Thank you, I will try the clean print head option. already think a new printer is due. I have two others (different models and make & age) that also do not work....all three are probably useless. Appreciate the help. Do you service all brands? that for my future reference.

Your'e very welcome, I do work on all brands yes.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Eldon
Eldon, Engineer