Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Epson XP 610 has stopped printing with generic ink I have…

Epson XP 610 has...

Epson XP 610 has stopped printing with generic ink I have used a million times before. Error message says cannot recognize the following ink cartridges. Y273, 273XL.

Technician's Assistant: Is your Epson printer displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Apparently daughter did it recently to connect to Bluetooth printing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No thanks

2/22/2018
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

no I do no

Ink cartridges cannot be detected error means that either a cartridge is not clicked incorrectly, the chip is dirty, faulty, or the chip contacts (in the printer) are damaged.
Try following the steps below to determine which it is. Make sure the printer is powered on - unless advised otherwise.
1) Epson "ink cartridges cannot be detected" error can simply mean that the cartridges are not clicked in properly. Non-genuine cartridge and particularly CISS cartridge can need a fair amount of force when installing - more than Epson genuine cartridges. Close the printer lid and/or press the "Ink" button - when finished. If the error disappears and the printer now says "Charging ink" or returns to the usual "home" display, the problem is solved. If the "Ink cartridge cannot be detected" message returns, try repeating this process once before moving to the next step.
2) Remove all the cartridges and inspect the cartridge chip and also the area on the printer where the cartridge sits. If dirty or inky, wipe it with a damp tissue then polish with dry. Fit cartridge back into the printer.
Tell me if it makes any difference to your problem.

If you are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

I have followed all the steps and it has come back to the same error message

Remove all cartridges and inspect the chip contacts (in the printer). Epson printers use a series of thin gold plated wire contacts that the cartridge chip slides and presses against - when the cartridge is installed. These contacts can corrode, or stick to the chip, particularly if they ever had any ink contamination. The wires can sometimes bend, or even get pulled out - with the cartridge, when it is removed. If this is the case, there may not be that much you can do to fix it, other than getting the printer serviced.
Note: If you can find the missing wire contact and it's not damaged, sometimes it's possible to push it back in it's slot. It's fiddly and you need careful vision, but it can be done. Be careful not to bend it or damage something else in the process.
If all the wire contacts appear fine, try cleaning them with damp cotton bud or similar until they're all spotless. Please unplug the power cord any time you're working on the chip contacts, to prevent further printer problems. When finished, install all cartridges back in printer, plug the power cord back in, turn the printer power on.

ok thank you I think I will give up now and go back to a much older printer

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer