Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I replaced all the cartridges and the black one does not…

I replaced all the...

I replaced all the cartridges and the black one does not work. There is no problem with the colors. I hit align and clean cartridges and even replaced the black one and still no ptint. Any ideas?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

I'll have to check that and get back to you.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

HP Photos art 7510 e-All-in-One C311a. I am getting no error messages.

2/21/2018
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. First, remove the black cartridge and clean the contacts both on the cartridge and on the printer where it gets installed, using a dry, lint free cloth. Next, turn the printer on without the black cartridge installed. Turn off the printer. Turn it on again and install the black cartridge and test.

Please reply and let me know if that works for you or if you have any questions. Then we can go to the next step if needed.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is still no change. Thanks for your help but I have decided to take the printer locally to have it serviced. It is 6 years old and probably needs some attention. Thanks again. Have a good day!

ok, thanks.

Nathan, Engineer

I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

I can save you some time, and a lot of money, before taking this in,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am just going to forget about this for now.

Cleaning the contacts won't do any good here, this is a nozzle issue, not a contact issue.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try, again, going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

To even have a local tech just look at it will typically cost you at least a $100 diagnostic fee, for this exact same answer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nathan, thanks for your suggestions but I do not feel comfortable working on this printer. I will probably look into replacing it. I am sure this will be cheaper than repair. Thanks again.

You're very welcome!

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer