Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It wont print black for some reason, WF-2650 Epson, New

Hi it wont print...

Hi it wont print black for some reason

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

WF-2650 Epson

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Epson printer?

New Printer Just pout in a new ink put*

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Just downloaded the latest driver

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Thats essentially all iot pronts colour just no black it prints*

2/12/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

It is normal to see the black nozzles fail first, as they get the most use.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2015 model printer, it is well into if not past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

no worries cheers
no thanks
just threw down $5 for a question. not $5 to $39 to answer

You're very welcome!

I'm not asking for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question.

oh cheers thanks

You're welcome. Would you like some help with replacement recommendations?

sure?

If looking for a replacement, I’d still recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

can you help with any technical issues? maybe its something i have overlooked without replacement

I sent detailed step by step instructions above, about 10 minutes ago, for the things that you can address on the printer, with the recommendation that if those steps don't help, then it should be replaced as it isn't worth fixing a printer this age.

i dont believe i got it. can you resend?

If you scroll up, you'll see the full content of our chat here with my initial answer.

Here it is again:

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Thanks! ill figure it out from here. i have no idea how to mess with this

You're very welcome, and best of luck

Nathan, Engineer