Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Both paper out and change ink lights blinking on Epson

Customer Question
Both paper out and...

Both paper out and change ink lights blinking on Epson Stylus C88+

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

Lenova L512 laptop using Linux Mint, printing thru a Linksys print server. Problem just stated today. Attempted cycling power (of course). Laptop can dual boot, but Windows 10 doesn't help.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Stylus?

Today

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on your jo-1017

Which one? Mint 18 or Windoz 10?

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Attempted to use ssc utility & usb connection to reset, but no luck

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
2/7/2018
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

this afternoon, has worked great for several years...today "just stopped"!

Please also be aware that this is a paid service providing professional support with guaranteed quality.
Now an expert has opted In and worked on your question, you have been charged for the solution on top of your deposit.
Any remote assistance offers you accept is extra to these two amounts and is charged once the expert accepts it. Thanks.
Let me know when you're ready to start or If you do not wish to continue.

Regards

Kris

let's keep this "economical", ie the printer isn't worth that much, replacing it might be the best and cheapest option.

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is off and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

removed power, held button down twice, no effect (still 2 red lights blinking)
I did the suggested process twice (my typing probably not clear), I attempted the recycle twice

Is it connected to a Windows or mac

laptop is dual boot, primary system is Linux Mint 18, but I can boot Win 10 (same problem either way), plus I use a print svr

Can you reset the printer please, it tells me here doingthis will reset the sensorcount

isn't that what removing power & pushing the on button for 30 sec is supposed to be doing? I did that (actually several times!)

Okay no problem.

I am going to opt out so another expert can have a go at helping as I am out of ideas.

Someone will pick this up and you will be emailed.

Thanks

Kris

might be best to stop and cut my losses---I can buy a new printer for $150.
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi I'm Nathan, a different tech here,

Can you tell me if those lights are blinking simultaneously, or alternating?

Alternating

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 16 year old model, that was built for a service life of only 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Look back and you'll see that I said the same thing! ROI isn't there. Thanks for the effort. Do I still owe you people anything or do I need to contact my CC to stop payment? The problem wasn't fixed.

You paid the agreed upon chat fees to the site.

As I'm sure you can understand, there is not a fix possible, or guaranteed, for all situations.

I provided a diagnostic evaluation and practical advice regarding replacement, had you gone to a repair shop you'd be charged a minimum $100 diagnostic fee for the exact same answer. We're all independent techs here working on our own personal time in a good faith effort to help, so to expect free help for a printer this age just wouldn't be realistic, and would be asking me to work for free for my time spent explaining the issue.

Would you like some recommendations for a replacement model?