Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My MX870 Inkjet printer is giving me an error ( no error…

My MX870 Inkjet printer...

My MX870 Inkjet printer is giving me an error ( no error number) I have tride turning off and back on but that does not clear it. Pinter will scan and copy

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

HP Pavilion Desktop 500-24

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MX870?

T just started today

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on your model

A few days ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I can be considered "technically challenged" Not good with this stuff

1/23/2018
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

OK I will get back to you in 10 minutes

Thank you

Unplugging did not work. Message "Printer in an error state"

Thanks

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

OK Will perform maintenance as suggested and get back to you when done.

Thank you

Still not printing!

Thanks

It is the printhead that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

It seems to copy and print OK. Does that use the same printer head?

ok sorry you said it is not printing, but it does actually print, when you copy? You mean it just does not print from the computer?

I believe that is what I stated to the person who notified you of my problem. The cannon MX870 will scan and print a copy but it will not print from my HP Pavillion 500-214

How is it connected to the computer? Via USB or Wireless?

wireless.

Which version of windows are you using?

Windows did some kind of upgrade about 4 days ago, would that have anything to do with it?
windows 10

Did it stop working then?

I'm not sure. I can't remember if I printed anything before today. Just checked some e-mails and i did print something on Jan 19th so yes, it was working after the upgrade.

ok, I want to do a system restore please.

To do this, close all programs.

Press the windows key (the one to the left of the left ALT key) + R and type in the run box that opens

rstrui

Press enter

Then follow the onscreen steps to choose a system restore and choose a date before this problem occurred.

Let it complete and tell me if it now functions correctly please

OK will do. I can keep my internet connection open with you right?

yes, that is ok I will be waiting here

System is updating now 30% complete

thanks

8220;System Restore is initializing”. Is it normal for it to take this long?

yes it can

Ok

thanks

System is restarting. Will try to print documents as soon as system is up.

Thank you

Success!! You are the “greatest” .
Documents printed.

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Richard, Technician
5 stars, you got ‘em