Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Canon Pixma MX 882 all-in-one. For the past few…

I have a Canon...

I have a Canon Pixma MX 882 all-in-one. For the past few weeks, I was getting an error message telling me the ink absorber is full. I didn't have time to try to clean the pads, so I ignored it. Now I am getting an error message 5B00 saying printer effort has occurred, contact the service center. When I try to open the unit to get the print heads to come to the center so I can see where the absorber pads are located, the print heads won't move at all. They stay on the right side of the unit and the error message pops up. How can I get the print heads to move out so I can get to the waste ink absorber pads?

Technician's Assistant: Is your Pixma displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Yes. Unplugged it as well.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Oh gosh. No idea. Maybe never since I bought it unless that happens automatically.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

How old is the printer?

Not really sure. Has to be at least 5 years old, maybe more.

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one. You can purchase a new one for around $50-$60 at a local electronics store such as Best Buy.

Ok. I had a feeling that might be the case. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome -- I apologize that I had to deliver the bad news to you. Please understand that we do not like to deliver bad news because our rating on the site is based on the feedback of our customers so bad news situations are difficult to deal with. Thankfully, a large majority of our customers are understanding that we are just messengers in the situation and do not take it out on the rating system.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Harry, Engineer