Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I keep getting the b304 error message on my Canon maxify…

Hi there, I keep...

Hi there, I keep getting the b304 error message on my Canon maxify MB2360 printer

Technician's Assistant: Is your MB2360 displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Yes. I was low on printer ink on a couple of my cartridges, but I've changes these and they are now full. One of the cartridges was able to be changed normally, but to change the 2nd one I had to do it manually. I followed the instructions to do this and all seemed to go well. Still getting the b304 message, so I did a hard reset on the printer. Still getting the message. Getting very frustrated now

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I haven't done that for since I bought the printer a couple of years ago I think

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

1/20/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2015 model printer, it is well into if not past its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer