Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My brother printer MFC -J985DW jams everytime I print. What…

My brother printer MFC...

My brother printer MFC -J985DW jams everytime I print. What should I do?

Technician's Assistant: What Brother model do you have?

MFC-J985DW. Is that the model?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Brother printer?

The last couple of days.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Does it automatically update or do you have to do it manually?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not really. I just want to get the printer to print without jamming.

1/18/2018
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

When I try to print now. It says "The printer is not responding".

Thanks
Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.
then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.
Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.
Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes
Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please
This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

I am going to try shutting down my computer and then trying what you mentioned above. Also if I do choose to securely connect, do I still have to pay for the service if it doesn't get fixed?

You are paying for my service... I will 100% either resolve or tell you what the issue is and what needs to be done if this is a hardware issue

I shut down my computer. I can now print, but only one side. It can't print double-sided.

What happens when you try to print double sided?

when it sucks back in the paper, it starts going in at a weird angle and the printer jams.

ok,, can you do the cleaning procedure I gave you?

I don't know how to access that area.

I will repeat the instructions again

remove the ink from the printer then power it off.
Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

The ink area is cleaned.
But I can't figure out how to get into the middle.

If you cannot access it how do you know it is clean?

Do you know how to change the ink cartridges?

I changed the ink cartridges this morning. Additionally, the printer cleaned the nozzles as well. There is a setting.

It will not do it the way I am telling you how

Please do the instructions as I have been giving

I cleaned the ink areas the way you said.

ok. complete the rest of the instructions and let me know the results please

I completed the rest of the instructions. I printed double sided and the paper after coming out was then sucked in half way, to print the other side, and then made a bunch of "whirring noises" and promptly became jammed.

Thanks

It is the internal drive motor that has faulted, this is the issue you have.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Technician