Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My HP Officejet Pro gave me the message that I needed ink. I…

My HP Officejet Pro...

My HP Officejet Pro gave me the message that I needed ink. I replaced the cartridges with the appropriate replacements, but it still says I need ink. I suspect that since the printer went unused for an extended period of time, one of the ink conduits is clogged. What can I do?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

Dell Laptop with Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your OfficeJet?

Just installed the cartridges an hour ago.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

It sat unused but still left in the "On" position to function as a fax for many months. I wonder if some of the ink from the old cartridge dried in the lines or jets to give an erroneous message.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried to reset the printer without the computer attached, to see if I could copy a document. I got the same message...replace the ink cartridge. The one in the printer now is brand new, and identical to the one I replaced.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/18/2018
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am dead in the water without my printer.

Which model printer do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Up 8500 Officejet Pro 8500

Please try a print head cleaning: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01615896

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried several times. It would not take the command because it claimed there was no ink.

How old is the printer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Probably about six or seven years.

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one. You can purchase a new one for around $50-$60 at a local electronics store such as Best Buy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was afraid of that. I wonder if I can reverse match the print cartridges....they cost more than a new printer would!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When you say, "internal error", are you talking software/programming or mechanical error?

Mechanical

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay...I will keep trying to get it clean. Where does the printer measure the ink level, on the contacts on the end of the ink cartridge, or some other way?

The issue is likely with the print head itself.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
After scrubbing a bit, three of the four colors are now displaying ink on the screen. I'll keep working on it. thanks.

You're welcome!

Please use the star rating at the top to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit

Harry, Engineer
Harry, Engineer