Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Officejet Pro 8600 gives us an ink system failure: there's a…

Officejet Pro 8600...

Officejet Pro 8600 gives us an ink system failure: there's a problem with the printer or ink system. turn printer off then on. We have tried this numerous times plus disconnected the printer from electrical for 60 seconds for a reset. Please help

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your OfficeJet: wirelessly or by USB?

Wireless

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Don't think it ever has been

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That should do it

1/14/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

This is the same advice I got from my local computer superstar. I thought I would be obtaining a specific problem rather then a host of problems.

This is a specific problem, related to the printhead as I explained above. To resolve it would require replacing the printhead, which again is not worth repairing for a printer this age.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Nathan, Engineer
YThanks

You're very welcome!