Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Suddenly it prints only a tiny version of any PDF. Word

Customer Question
Suddenly it prints only...

Suddenly it prints only a tiny version of any PDF. Word documents are fine.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

HP 8610

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your HP printer?

Just noticed it today, but I haven't used this PC since the last weekly Windows 10 update Tuesday night, Jan 2, 2018. I always suspect Windows 10 updates first!

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing other than Word documents print full size, only PDFs are shrunk to unreadable font.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
are you there?
1/7/2018
Technician: Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician replied 4 months ago
Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician

I'm sorry about the issue. Does any PDF file looks like on your computer's screen?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

My HP 8610 Printer suddenly prints PDF documents in miniature. Word documents still print full size. Tues, Dec 2 there was a Windows 10 update, and I don't know it that affected the printer settings...doesn't make sense that it would. I have made no changes to the HP printer settings, and again, it only affects PDFs.
To more fully answer your question, the PC screen shows a full size page, but the HP 8610 all-in-one printer suddenly prints only a miniature version of the page in the lower right corner of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, taking up 1/4 of the page.

On your computer, please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely, then I can help you directly:

https://tinyurl.com/y7q8pxzj
, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

But that costs more, right?

How about with a small amount as shown for direct remote support?

I'm sorry, I cannot do that. The last time I had a stranger remote in (an offshore tech support independent contractor working for TurboTax, a trusted Intuit company) he spent nearly 8 hours, changed settings in the registry and I had to carry my PC to our IT company and have them restore the computer. I'm sorry, I really would like to have your remote in but it is risky.for the data.
I apologize. You can just refund the amount I've already paid.

With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403/
Remote support is quicker and easier for you as I will do all the troubleshooting steps for you. Also, this issue can be complicated. I think I can fix this issue in about 30 minutes. And you can always shut down your computer if you do not want to continue. Otherwise, I will provide written instructions.
Please let me know your option; we guarantee our service. Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Again, I apologize but this is my first experience with Just Answer and I don't know the company at all. After my last awful experience, I really am afraid to have someone remote in. I understand how remote sessions work as I've used them for many years with companies I know. Can you just give me written instructions? If that isn't convenient, you can refund the fees paid already and I'll figure it out with HP tech support on a workday.

Yes. I can provide written instructions.

1. Open a (one page) PDF file.
  2. Click on Print option / icon.
  3. There, can you check the option Size, i.e., Fit or Actual size or Shrink oversized pages... or Custom Scale, etc.?

Please let me know. Thank you.

OK, thanks. I selected zoom in, and fit-to-page on a single page PDF document, my utilities bill, but the commands do not enlarge the little print-out of the bill. It is 1/4 its normal size.

You're welcome. Can you uninstall / remove Adobe Acrobat Reader program, then download / reinstall it at the website below and check?

https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Please let me know. Thank you.

I'll do that.
Installing the Acrobat Reader now... about 50% done

OK, thanks.

OK, freshly installed...also added McAfee by the way.

OK, please open a PDF file in the Adobe Acrobat Reader program and see if you can print it fine.

OK.

Please let me know. Thanks.

No, it is still 1/4 size lower right corner of page, still a miniature.

Sorry. Please try this:

1. Uninstall Acrobat Adobe Reader again, but do not reinstall it.

2. Then download / install the free Foxit Reader at the website below:

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

3. Then open a PDF file in the Foxit Reader program, and see if you can print it fine.

I'm sorry but I have to leave now. Please just refund the money I paid, and I'll call the printer manufacturer on Monday.
No thanks, ***** ***** to leave right now. I've been on this chat for an hour and a half, and I insist that you refund the money I've spent. I think this was just too difficult a problem to solve in this manner. I will wait while you refund the money.

I'm sorry. The printer manufacturer will not fix the PDF printing issue because the printer is able to print everything else, so the printer is working fine. The issue is not with the printer, but with the printer. Can we continue tomorrow? We guarantee our service. Thank you.

How do I make contact with you?

I've emailed you (from Viet / JustAnswer.) Did you receive my emails?

But I'm confused about your last comment..."The issue is not with the printer, but with the printer."

Sorry, I mean the issue is not with the printer, but with the computer. I've emailed you (from Viet / JustAnswer.) Did you receive my emails?

I have all your emails, thanks.

You're welcome. See you tomorrow. Thanks.

Please try my last suggestion tomorrow. I'm available starting noon Pacific time. Thank you.

Please stay with me on this page:

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

I have rebooted the PC and uninstalled the Adobe Acrobat Reader again. Before installing the Foxit Reader, who is the publisher of Foxit? I am not familiar with it.
Looks like they want $77.33?
Or is Foxit Phantom Reader different?

No, use the free version at :

OK, it's installed. I'll try to print a PDF and let you know.

OK, thank you.

Sorry, the PDF (the same copy of my utilities bill) is still miniaturized to 1/4 of a page. Remember this is a Windows 10 OS, and we had an automatic Windows update last Tuesday night...if that matters. I did tell your assistant that yesterday at 6:17pm, don't know if that matters, but I sometimes notice little functionality issues after an update. No changes have been initiated on my part, in fact I hadn't used the PC since before Tuesday, just using my iPhone. So I really don't know what to do.

Sorry. Did you print that PDF file in the Foxit Reader program?

How about another PDF file?

Do you want me to go into the Foxit program to print it? I will try another PDF file.

Yes. When you open any PDF file, does it open in the Foxit program? If no, open the Foxit program first, then use the File > Open option there.

The normal way of printing bills and receipts for payments made is that the company websites generate PDFs that are printable by just clicking the default printer icon in the upper right corner, and it prints. I’ve never while using Windows 10 had to go into a Reader program to print out something. Are you using Win 10?

Yes. Please try this:

1. Close all PDF files for now.
  2. Open Control Panel.
  3. Open Programs.
  4. Open Default programs.
  5. Open Set your default programs.
  6. Click on Foxit Reader on the left.
  7. Click on Set this program as default near bottom right.
  8. OK / Close.
  9. Open a pdf file and print and check.
I did already make Foxit my default Reader. But I will try printing another PDF,

OK, thanks.

I’m also rebooting. Are you on Windows 10? Soooo many things changed between 7 and 10 and continue to change in 10 updates, forgive me if you’re on 10 also, I don’t mean to question your experience but as you pointed out, this may not be a printer problem so much as a Windows 10 update issue.

Yes. I'm the computer tech, so I have all Windows versions. Thank you.

OK, thanks.

You're welcome. Let me know when you open a PDF file now, does it open in the Foxit Reader program?

Well, I have been printing old PDFs which come out fine and they're printing in Foxit Reader. The old PDFs print as they always did, but any current documents (like my bank statement, my utilities bill, coupons from CVS, etc) come out tiny. Could it be these online print outs are not actually PDFs? Everything I really want and NEED will not print full size.

That's strange. Are you sure these current documents end with .PDF ? Or is it something else?

It looks like it's a complicated issue, and other Windows 10 users are not having this issue. Can I take a look remotely?

The current print outs from our utilities company and our bank simply allow the user to click the printer icon in the upper right corner, it's the default printing function that comes with Windows 10, and I was able to print these website items any time I wanted a file copy of a payment made or a bill I wanted to track other than digitally. Our IT company we've used for 25+ years urgently requested that we not let anyone remote in that we hadn't worked with and knew well. This was after the last awful experience with an Intuit offshore contractor who after 2 days of remote sessions, he experimented in the registry, crashed the PC and then told me to take the PC to our IT company. I don't mean to suggest you or your firm are not skilled, but if something does go wrong and I have to face our IT guys, it will be expensive and embarrassing. I think I need to just call them and ask them to help figure this out because it makes no sense to either of us.
I thought it was a relatively simple printer problem, but it appears to be more complex. Can we part friends? Refund the $33 to me and I will still give you a 5 star review. You have certainly tried, and I am exhausted.

I'm sorry. We'll cancel this per your request. If you'd like to continue later on, please let me know anytime. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you. And you will refund the $5 and the additional $28 back through the same card?

You're welcome. Yes, everything, thanks.

Thank you, Viet.

No problem. Thanks.

John, Computer Science Engineer