Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

How do I get my MFC-J6920DW to print properly? I put in a…

Customer Question
How do I get...

How do I get my MFC-J6920DW to print properly? I put in a second fresh black cartridge and black won't print. the CMY cartridges are fresh but do not register as full.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

MFC-J6920DW

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

No error messages except low ink, I've opened the cover many times.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
Now it's giving me messages to 'reinstall (cartridge) firmly'
I am.
Could the cartridges be defective?
1/6/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

It is normal to see the black nozzles fail first as they get the most use, especially on a printer that is double its service life.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Send me instructions for the manual cleaning.Thanks.
Sorry I missed you earlier.
To try manually cleaning the print heads:
Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while
printing. This is the printhead.
You'll remove the ink cartridges from the printer, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as
well as inside the printer where they mate up using qtips and rubbing alcohol.
Unfortunately your model does not have a removable printhead, so it will have to be cleaned in place. Fold up a
piece of paper towel in quarters the long way, saturate the middle with alcohol, slide it under the print head, and
pick up on the ends while moving up and down to clean it (think of drying your back with a towel).
When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump"
the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs. If possible, you'll get better
results by using a syringe and appropriately sized rubber tubing (that will fit into the ink inlet port) to force the
alcohol to flush through the head)
After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it
all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu.
You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.
If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.