Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I try to print 4x6 photos with the photo tray but keeps

Customer Question
I try to print...

I try to print 4x6 photos with the photo tray but keeps saying out of paper, load paper and select okay: I have 4x6 paper in the tray

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Hp envy 7640

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

For awhile sometimes it will work but not without a lot of frustration and then do not know what it printed

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Do not know what that means

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Okay

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
1/6/2018
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That message may mean you are 'pointing' the printer to the wrong tray obligatorily. (Or at worst, it means the paper sensor in the photo tray is 'broken' and not registering the presence of paper.)

Now, check your print settings on the computer:

1. is Paper Type set to the correct size, photo and 4 x 6 ?

2. is the paper in correctly? if you put in it wrong it may 'look' like 6 x 4, if you see what I mean.

3. is the Paper Tray (or, Paper Source) set to Auto? or to another tray than the photo paper tray? if so, set it to something else, as appropriate for this job - not Auto, or to Photo Paper Tray, etc.

Let me know how that goes, and what you see in the settings... I will help further as needed.

Is there a main tray paper setup and a photo tray set up

Look in your Print options - Printing Preferences, or Properties. The settings for 'Paper Tray', or 'Paper Source', and for 'Paper Type', will be found there. Set them correctly, before sending the print job. It should work, that way.

(For greater specifics, tell me whether your computer is Windows PC or an Apple computer.

When I hit printer preferences and go to tray management I cannot go to photo test only main tray is highlighted

Please tell me whether your computer is Windows PC or an Apple computer ? so that I may advise you.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am asking whether my answer was helpful and provided what you needed ?

(If I didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will be pleased to help you further.)