Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

For the ink printer refills, does it matter if I use the…

Customer Question
For the ink printer refills...
For the ink printer refills, does it matter if I use the refill for a Canon printer to refill cartridges for a HP printer? How different are they, they are all from non-original printer manufacturers.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
1/6/2018
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
What sort of refill are you referencing, please? or, from what manufacturer, what brand name, what part #s are involved (HP refill part # vs. Canon refill part #) ? with those specifics I can advise you, though I have a guess at this point, as to what the answer to your question is.

Also, in your Reply with that information, please also mention what printer's ink, what maker and model of printer, is being refilled. Thanks.

Canon PG-40, CL41 refills, for HP Office6700

I advise against using Canon-intended ink in an HP printer. Inks, for inkjet printers, have viscosity (or 'thickness of fluid'), drying time, and other qualities, that are intended for the pore diameter and other mechanical characteristics of the brand and/or model of printer's inking system. So Canon ink should not be used in an HP printer, or unfortunate breakages may happen, in the inking system.

(It might work OK... but the chances of that in the long run are small.)

In fact, even 'HP ink' may not necessarily work well in a different model of HP printer. Different models of a given manufacturer's printer, may have different mechanical and pore qualities, as I mentioned them above. So it is advisable to match the ink to the maker name (HP in this case) and the model # too, whenever possible... at worst, if you really must, use HP Officejet 6XXX ink in an HP Officejet 6700 printer.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

do you trust the market products, such as this one sold on Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/PrintPayLess%C2%AE-resistant-non-OEM-refillable-cartridges/dp/B00N7BX5UQ/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515258485&sr=1-11&keywords=refill+ink+HP+officejet+6700

A strict conservative on this subject, of inks and their appropriateness, would say that all and any refill inks are suspect and risky.

In the case of the product you cite, it's not bad that it actually lists specific models that the ink applies to - and all of them are HP models, please note - and the models are all either Officejet 6xxx or Officejet 7xxx models, too, all of the same model line in other words.

If you need further information, let me know.

is “all of the same model line” rarely seen? I think I have seen some OEM cartridges designated for several different printers.

I meant to say that, 'all of the same model line' is more believable. It's like a quack medicine: if it cures everything, it's less believable. So the ink you cited, being for one group of model #s rather than just generally, is more likely to work, I suspect.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech