Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My printer is not working. Wirelessly, I think. I've never…

Customer Question
My printer is not...

My printer is not working

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wirelessly, I think

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I've never done that. Don't know how

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
1/6/2018
Technician: Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician replied 6 months ago
Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your printer?

Is there any error or message?
Do you have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, 10, or Mac computer?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

HP office jet pro 8610
There is a problem with the printer or ink system
I have windows 7
nothing to add

I'm sorry. I'm not sure about this issue, but let me open the issue to other experts. Please do not wait; you will get an email message when there is response from another expert. Thank you.

Technician: RussellA, Engineer replied 6 months ago
RussellA
RussellA, Engineer

To see screenshots and videos of troubleshooting of your HP OfficeJet Pro 8610, please follow this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8610-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367603/model/5367606/document/c04249080

HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows)

This document is for all HP printers and computers with Windows.

A status message of offline or printer offline displays on the computer, and the printer does not print. An Offline status indicates that the computer is not able to communicate with the printer. In some network conditions the printer might go offline unexpectedly.

Figure : Examples of printer offline status messages

Step 1: Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

If you have Windows 8 or 10, use HP Printer and Scan Doctor to automatically fix several types of problems that can cause the printer to go offline. Skip to the next step if your computer does not have Windows 8 or 10.

1. From the computer you are trying to print from, download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor. When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.

2. After opening Print and Scan Doctor, read and respond to the screens to resolve the problem.

NOTE:

For network printer connections, make sure and select Test Print to test the connection, and then select No Print after the test has completed to obtain a solution.

3. If the printer continues to go offline, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Set the default printer and unpause printing

The default print driver might have changed from the driver you installed to another driver, such as a Web Services for Devices (WSD) driver with a very similar name. Change the default print driver to your originally installed driver and confirm the printer is not set for offline use.

Video of checking the printer status in Devices and Printers

View this video on YouTube.

1. Turn the printer off and on, and then make sure it is in a ready state.

2. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

3. Find the icon for the printer you originally installed.

• If a color or grey icon displays with a green checkmark, continue to the next step.

• If a color or a grey icon displays without a green checkmark, right-click the icon, select Set as Default Printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If one color and one grey icon displays for your printer, right-click the color icon, select Set as Default Printer, and then continue to the next step.

Figure : Changing the default printer from the gray (offline) printer icon to the colored (online) icon

4. Right-click the icon for the default printer, and then select See what's printing.

The print queue window opens.

5. Click Printer. If a checkmark displays next to Pause Printing and Use Printer Offline, click each item to remove the checkmark.

Figure : Example of the Pause and Use Printer Offline selections

6. Try to print.

• If you can print, the printer is online again. Continue to the next step if the printer goes offline again when printing later.

• If the printer cannot print and remains offline or goes offline intermittently, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Reset the printer and check the connection status

Resetting the printer can help restore a connection to the computer.

1. If the printer is off, turn on the printer, and then check the status of the printer.

• If the printer starts printing jobs from the print queue, your printer is clearing out queued print jobs and is online. You can stop troubleshooting.

• If the printer goes to an idle state after its startup routine, it might be online.

• If the computer still shows the printer as offline, continue using these steps.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the printer power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 60 seconds. Restart the computer while you are waiting.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

7. If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

8. Make sure the printer is connected to the computer or the network.

• Wireless network connection: On the printer, open the Wireless network or Settings menu to make sure the wireless signal is turned on. Make sure the light next to the Wireless icon is on and steady.

• Wired network connection: Make sure the cable is connected to the printer Ethernet port and to an available port on the router. The green link light should be steady, and the orange activity light should blink.

Figure : Connect the cable to the printer and to the router

• USB connection: Make sure the cable is securely connected to the printer and to a working USB port on the computer.

9. Try to print.

• If the printer cannot print and remains offline, continue to the next step.

Step 4: Make sure the correct port is selected

If the driver is using the wrong communication port, the printer remains offline as the connection cannot be made.

Video of selecting the correct port for your printer

View this video on YouTube.

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select Devices and Printers in the list of results.

The Devices and Printers window opens.

2. Right-click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

The Properties window opens.

3. Click the Ports tab, and then find the name of your printer in the Printers column.

• If the printer uses a USB connection, make sure the port name or description includes USB or DOT4

• If the printer uses a network connection, make sure the port name or description includes WSD, network, Standard TCP/IP Port, or HP Standard TCP/IP Port.

Figure : Example of the WSD port selected for a wireless printer

4. Select the correct port type if the selection does not match the current connection used by the printer.

If problems persist, continue to the next step.

Step 5: Update the printer firmware

HP regularly releases printer updates. Updating the printer firmware might resolve the issue. For more information, see Updating Firmware on the Printer.

Step 6: Create a manual connection (network connections only)

If you have a USB printer connection, skip to the Other things to try section in this document.

A manual IP address connection is a more direct method of communicating to the printer and is less likely to go offline.

NOTE:

These steps require that your printer is already set up on your network. If your printer has never printed successfully over your network, then you must first make sure it has been set up on the network. This involves installing full feature printer software from HP or using the wireless setup wizard from the printer control panel. For more help, see the user manual, search the HP website, or use the wireless setup wizard from the control panel, if available.

Video of creating a manual connection for your networked HP printer

View this video on YouTube.

1. Print a Network Configuration Report or Wireless Test Report from your printer.

• If your printer has a control panel with a display, print the report from the network settings or network setup menu.

• If your printer does not have a display, print the report using the buttons on the printer control panel. For many HP printers, this is done by pressing and holding the cancel button or a combination of buttons on the control panel until a report prints. For more information on how to print a report for your printer model, see the User Guide or search the HP website for network configuration report and the model of your HP printer.

2. On the report printout, look at the network status for your network connection type (wired or wireless.)

Figure : Example of a correctly connected wireless network status

• If status is connected, continue with these steps.

• If status is anything other than connected, such as Off or Disabled, then the printer is disconnected from your network. This is the reason your printer is offline. You must connect the printer to your network before you continue. For more help on how to set up a connection to your network, see the User Guide, search the HP website for your printer model and wireless or wired network install, or use the wireless setup wizard from the control panel of your printer if available.

3. On the report, find the IP Address, subnet mask, and Default Gateway for your active (connected) network connection type. If your report has separate numbers for IPv4 and IPv6, then use the numbers listed in the IPv4 section.

4. From a computer connected to your network, find the URL(s) for Embedded Web Server (EWS) on the report and enter the URL into your Internet browser. If the webpage appears blank, use a different Internet browser.

Figure : Example of the URL for the EWS

5. Click the Network or Networking tab, and then open the section or page for your network type: wired or wireless.

6. Click Manual IP.

• If you see a Suggest a Manual IP Address button, click Manual IP address, and the Manual IP addresses are automatically filled out for you.

• If your page does not have a button to suggest a manual IP address, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway using the numbers shown in the report you printed.

Figure : Example of setting up a Manual IP configuration

7. Write these new numbers on a piece of paper. You might need to use them later when adding a second printer device.

8. Click Apply, and then wait until the changes are confirmed.

Continue to the next step.

Step 7: Add a second printer device to Windows (network connections only)

After setting a manual IP address for the printer, add a printer port to Windows that matches this new IP address.

The Properties window opens.

3. Click the Ports tab, and then click Add Port.

4. Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.

Figure : Creating a new TCP/IP Port

5. Type the printer’s IP address that you wrote down earlier, and then click Next.

6. Select the new Standard TCP/IP Port from the list, and then click OK.

NOTE:

You might see a second printer device display in the list of devices. Do not uninstall either printer device. Leave both printer devices.

7. Try printing, scanning (if your printer has a scanner), and opening the HP Printer software.

• If the printer can print and there are no problems with scanning or opening the HP printer software, you can stop troubleshooting.

• If problems persist, continue to the next step.

Step 8: Add the printer using HP Printer Assistant

Remove the printer devices, and then install the device again using the HP printing software.

1. From the Device and Printers window, right-click one of the HP printer icons, and then click Remove Device.

2. If a second printer icon is shown, right-click it, and then click Remove Device.

There should be no printer devices listed for your printer.

3. Open HP Printer Assistant. Search Windows for your printer name, and then click it in the list of results.

HP Printer Assistant opens.

4. Read and respond to the screens to add a new printer.

5. From the Devices and printers window, right-click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

The Properties window opens.

6. Click the Ports tab, and then select the Standard Port you created earlier.

A second printer displays in the list of devices.

I hope these steps help you in rectifying your issue. If you are satisfied please mark this as answered so I can get compensated for my time, or if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to open another query directly with me.

Technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 6 months ago
Robert M., Consultant

My name is Rob

My number is ***** the secure section

Call me and we can set up a remote or I can talk you through getting the printer working

I haven't accepted any offer and will cancel payment
Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Cancel my request. I bought another printer and will take the old one for recycling tomorrow.
I have not accepted any offer for remote assistance.