Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Just retired and moved---lost cable in the move----cannot…

Customer Question
Just retired and moved---lost...

Just retired and moved---lost cable in the move----cannot put #s 161 in the passphrase???? MX530

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

MX530

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

MX530

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Tried to reinstall MX430 to My MX532 but without cable could not get recognition It had set itself up when I moved here with a new router that does no have a WPS button and printer will not allow #s in passphrase. Do not have a clue as to what the printer's name is. Tried printer cable from Dad's HP and although every thing went great until It tried to set up Wi Fi Same trying to do it like it has done before

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

There is this notice sitting in the middle of our conversation and it will only accept restart and will not remove notice of no disk

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
1/5/2018
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Printer will indeed allow #s in the passphrase for the WiFi connection: just look for the 'button' on the on-screen keyboard, that is labeled

123

and tap on that one, to get the numbers 0 through 9 (or 1 through 9 and 0) to be available to type in. This typically works on Canon printers of this rough model line - if you cannot see such an option/button or cannot get the on-screen keyboard to appear, Reply, let me know, and I will advise you further.

Today, I messed up the WiFi that has been set for over a year. Using Printer cable from HP Envy, everything is fine using the MX430 software on my MX 532 until it tries to load WiFi from computer. Then if you try to do the whole thing with WiFi, you get the same results. Router does not have ASP ? button so Printer cannot find signal. The "passphrase" for the printer does not allow #s so cannot enter router password ***** has 161 as part of it. There must be more that has been messed up; would it bebetter if I purchased a cable and had you do a remote? Thanks Wilbur

OK, I get the picture. I advised you wrongly in one detail: the keyboard for entering the WiFi passphrase can be switched to numbers by using the * key, is what the documentation says for the MX430.

These are the steps to setup the printer to connect to WiFi:

1. Press the Setup button on your PIXMA MX432.
2. Use the left or right button to select Device Settings and press OK.
3. Use the left or right button to select LAN Settings and press OK.
4. Use the left or right button to select Wireless LAN Setup and press OK.

(There might be a step missing here... apologies, if so.)
5. Enter your WEP key and press OK. Please verify the WEP, as it is case sensitive and if entered incorrectly, will cause the printer and router to not communicate. To switch between letters and numbers, press the * key.
6. Press OK on the confirmation screen. The PIXMA MX432 will search for the access point.
7. When found, press OK on the Connected to the access point screen.
- Does that help?