Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have a Canon pixma multifunction machine that I use

Customer Question
I have a Canon...

I have a Canon pixma multifunction machine that I use constantly for my online Uni course. I keep getting the error 6000 code. Despite doing everything that the manual says to do to fix this issue, x 3, nothing has worked. The manual suggests that In this case to contact the service centre and get the machine serviced. How do I go about this?

Technician's Assistant: Is your Pixma displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Yes everything, it won`t allow me to do anything.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Around two months ago, about a month before the problem started

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No thankyou. that`s all

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Printers
1/4/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault (line feed error). That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Nathan, most of the things you suggested i have already tried multiple times. Last night when i started to redo the process, error code 1256 displayed, once before, the paper tray would not open but it some how it appeared to sort itself out. Also, i could not get the cartridge arm to move the cartridges out so that i could inspect and clean them. They still are not sliding across this morning. Could this be the initial underlying issue that is resulting in the other error code? How do I fix it? The error code 6000 then reappeared and i couldn`t get any further. Even when the 1256 error had seemed to correct itself, the other error did not. I am really starting to panic as i am now falling behind and i have exams coming up. What else do you suggest that i try?
Regards
Caroline McPherson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Nathan,
I am guessing that the machine needs a service/repairs. Where can i get it looked at as quickly as possible? Your assistance would really be appreciated about now.
Regards
Caroline McPherson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is the nearest service centre located? Do they pick up, as i am confined to a wheelchair and cannot drive-hence the online Uni course.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are u still available online?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Can you please send me the full model number of the printer? It will start with MX or MG

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry about that, just panicking. The model number is ***** 7560.
Regards
Caroline

Thank you for checking,

unfortunately the persistence of the error does confirm a hardware defect, which is commensurate with the other issues you had as well.

This would need to be repaired, but is absolutely not worth fixing.

This is a 2015 model, so it is at/past its designed maximum 3 year service life anyway. To repair it you would have to transport it at your expense to a repair shop where you'd pay $200+ to repair it, while you could buy a brand new and better model with a fresh warranty for about $75.

I can recommend replacement models or help find a repair shop if you wish.

My apologies for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can u plz recommend replacement models as well as repair outlets. I am only on DSP so have to weigh up long term options.
Regards

Sure thing,

I absolutely would not consider it worth fixing though. It will cost you more just to have it even looked at that it would for a new printer (diagnostics alone, not even actual parts or labor). Even then, it won't last long as other parts will continue to fail and need more and more money to keep it going.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1nxc4II or http://amzn.to/1nxc8Z5

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1nxcejv

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1nxcpv2

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1nxcnn0

Nathan, Engineer