Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have a pixma mx922 and the screen on it is now when i turn…

Customer Question
I have a pixma...

I have a pixma mx922 and the screen on it is now white when i turn it on.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

From my computer

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Pixma?

It just started a few days ago but did come on last night the way it should but is now back to being white

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Never have

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That is all i just need to know if it is fixable or i need to buy a new one. this one is just over 3 yrs old

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2013 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will try this but if it dont work i will start looking for a new printer.

Thanks, ***** ***** luck!

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
why did the cost go up when i was told only $5.00
It was never only 5. That was just to post your question. The total fee is what was displayed and agreed to on the payment page when posting your question. Realistically help like this would not be available for 5 or less. To have gone to a repair shop would have cost you a minimum $100 diagnostic fee for the exact same answers I provided for a fraction of that. Please note that we are all independent techs here so I have no control over any costs or site matters. Not honoring the fees you agreed to though would be forcing me to work for free for my time spent helping in good faith.
Nathan, Engineer