Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Having problems getting an Oki B431 to reset after replacing…

Customer Question
Having problems getting an...

Having problems getting an Oki B431 to reset after replacing the drum

Technician's Assistant: Is this the first time you've had to change the ink for your B431?

Ink, no. The drum yes

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

After replacing the drum & cartridge, the window still says replace image drum

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That should do it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
Any idea what to do?
1/3/2018
Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

With the printer powered on, remove the power cord from the back.

Wait 2 minutes

Plug back in the power cord and power it on

Do you still have the error?

I will check that in the am, it is a printer at work. I will try that and log back in tomorrow.

OK take your time

Thank you

You're welcome

Unplugged this morning for 3-4 minutes. Plugged back in, no change. Still shows replace image drum message.
This is a printer that is used for about 100 or so copied a day. Any ideas? I know we are small company but not having this printer up is an inconvenience. Any help you can provide would be great.

Press the "Online" button near the display panel on the top of the printer to take the unit offline.

Step 2

Press the "Menu" button a few times until the Maintenance Menu option appears on the display panel's LCD screen.

Step 3

Press the "Select" button, and then press "Item" repeatedly until the Drum Count Reset menu option appears. Press the "Select" button to reset the counter.

Step 4

Press the "Online" button again to return the OKI Data printer to normal printing mode.

It will not allow me to change the message showing regardless of which buttons I press.

Wait 2 minutes

Now try

Will do

Thank you

Plugged back in, still shows 563 drum life, replace image drum

And you replaced the image drum correct?

How old is the printer?

2 - 3 years old

Did you try the reset options again after plugging it back in?

Once it comes back on, won’t show any message other than 563 drum life. Doesn’t matter what buttons I push, still shows same message.

Remove the drum again and insert it back in

Unplugged, removed drum and reinserted the drum, left it unplugged for 2 minutes. Plugged back in, have same screen 562 drum life
563 drum life

1. Turn machine on while pushing and holding the TWO up/down menu buttons at same time.
2. Menu window will show "OKI USER"
3. Scroll to " Engine Dialog Mode" is indicated. Push Enter button.
4. "Diagnostic Mode xx.xx.xx S-Mode is indicated.
5. Scroll to "NV-Ram initial" is indicated. Push ENTER.
6. Window shows "NV-Ram- Initial Table 1".
7. Push ONLINE and ENTER Buttons simultaneously and HOLD for 10 seconds after you see "Executing Reset" appear in menu window.
8. Restart printer.

I did all of that last night. I googled that before I contacted your service. My display does not show S-Mode, it shows F-Mode. When I hit select when it shows the F-Mode window, it does nothing to change the screen. If I go to NVRAM Parameter screen and hit select, it just shows clear. Don’t know whether that or a for a B431 to reset. Could not get to a window in that menu list to reset

Did you press the ONLINE and ENTER buttons after that?

Harry, I am not going to rate the service good or bad. I had googled many of the things you mentioned before i contacted you. I contacted the manufacturer Okidata. They told me the problem was with the printer itself. The sensor that resets the drum count was the problem. It was verified when i put the new drum in my other printer. The drum life reset to 99% after installing it. I know you get many questions on many different products. Don't want to be unfair to you by giving a poor review.

I appreciate it.

If you wish to rate as 3-5 stars, I will get paid for our time together. Thank you and Happy New Year!

Harry, Engineer