Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon MX850 there is a message: printer requires service.

Customer Question
Canon MX850 there...

Canon MX850 there is a message: printer requires service. Before this message for some some. a message about the printer absorber being full. Before this message, error code 5110. Is this repairable... can I do this myself?

Technician's Assistant: Is your MX850 displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Displaces the message when printer is restarted.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Have not done this ever...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I use the printer primarily for scanning and printing, rarely for copy. The feed gets skewed often so that copy image is not straight.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
1/1/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

The carriage is hard right and is not movable.When the printer is started, there is the sound of the carriage moving with the normal display. Then after a minute, the 5B00 and message "service required".
Please tell me what you can do remotely?

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

This is not something that can be fixed remotely.

But, the 5B00, changes things, significantly. That explains the prior error and why it won't move.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" has failed. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 10 year old model, that was built for a service life of no more than 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.