Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The printer is not working. The message keeps saying "There…

Customer Question
The printer is not...

The printer is not working. The message keeps saying "There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn printer off then on. If the problem persists, contact HP." I have turned it off and back on numerous times. I have unplugged it and tried restarting it all together. The Model is 8620 Serial # CN47OCW07X

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

I believe it is a USB connection

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I am not sure but I tried updating a little while ago and it goes through the series of questions and looks like it is updating but never completes the update.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope. Just that it isn't working and I need it to.'

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,