Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My cannon pima mx340 stopped scanning. How do I fix it?

Customer Question
My cannon pima mx340...

My cannon pima mx340 stopped scanning . How do I fix it?

Technician's Assistant: What Canon model do you have?

Pixma 340

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Pixma?

Over a year just haven't gotten around to trying to fix it and I really miss scanning things

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
12/31/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your scanning question.
That depends upon just how it has 'stopped scanning' - is there an error message? does it simply not respond? do scans come out quite blank? let me know and I will instruct you specifically to the type of scanning problem.

As for scanning problems in general - usually they are solved by a removal of printer drivers, followed by a restart, followed by a re-installation afresh of the printer drivers (including scanner drivers) as appropriate for the computer and the printer.

If you wish I can try remotely connecting to your computer - with your approval only - and see to getting a way worked out through this problem, for a small additional fee.

If you would rather not, then I can also instruct you toward a solution, somewhat more slowly.

Let me know which approach you would prefer, and I will help you as needed.

Hello Russel
It just stopped scanning no error message it just says pc scan standby and will not do anything At this point I would rather not do the remote thing,let’s see how this goes with your expert help to get this baby up and scanning if possible

Can you try doing a photocopy of one page, using the printer's own controls? let me know how the printer acts and what it produces (even if only an error message.)

And where it says 'PC Scan Standby' - is that on the computer's screen, or on the printer's screen?

The message is on my printer

OK. How does an attempt to do a photocopy turn out?

It copies fine

OK. Is it on a wireless/WiFi connection? or on a USB cable directly connected to the computer?

USB connected

OK. Turn OFF the printer. Restart the computer. After you have restarted the computer and logged back in, turn On the printer again. Wait a minute or two, then try Scan again, the way it always worked before - but if it never worked before, don't try anything, stop there and let me know.

Did and done now printer on and off button is blinking and mouse to computer is not working

The mouse is not working, on the computer? that's unfortunate.

Are these machines plugged into your wall outlet? or are they either or both (computer and/or printer) plugged into a surge protector of some sort, or a power filter, or a UPS power box?

We have them all plugged into a surge protector power strip. All I know is when I turned everything of and back on our wireless mouse and printer and not working and I was just using the mouse and computer when I decided to try and see the scanner could be fixed

Check that the wireless mouse's 'dongle' or transmitter module is properly and fully plugged in to a USB port on the computer (not into a USB hub, which often does not work with USB wireless mouse devices.)

Also check whether the light or lights is/are on, in the mouse's underside. Perhaps it needs new batteries - you might try replacing those.

Then restart the computer. Wait patiently before using the wireless mouse... it may take a little time.

It charges,it has no battery and yes it is turned on The printer is another issue we have no idea what is going on I copy almost every day or so. All I wanted was to use the scanner part of the printer and all has gone crazy

"Charges but has no battery"? please tell me the model #, and how old it is.

This is an Apple mouse only a few years old, our computer is an Apple we have had no problems until I turned everything off and back on again and we have done this before all I was trying to do was to get my printer to scan and all has gone crazy
Our old mouses needed batteries not the new ones. Model numberA1657

The Magic Mouse does have a built-in battery. It is rechargeable, but every rechargeable battery technology in portable electronic devices nowadays, eventually wears out and fails, either owing to not delivering enough voltage, or not holding enough charge, to power the device properly.

I would guess that your Magic Mouse might need a new battery, but if it evidently has lights and power, that might not be the case.

Since this is an Apple case, and I don't seem to be making enough progress with it, I may need to Opt Out. But first:

Have you gone to the System Preferences, then to Printers, clicked once on the printer in the Printers list, then clicked once on the - button, to remove it, then waited a few minutes, then clicked on the + button, and added it back to the Printers list?

That might get it scanning again. Try it, I advise.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech