Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My HP all in one printer, model 6520 no longer prints or…

Customer Question
My HP all in one...
My HP all in one printer, model 6520 no longer prints or copies. Set up wirelessly on computer, but won't even copy anymore. Any suggestions???
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

still need help.

Do you see any error messages?

on the copying, it just spins. On the printer side, it looks like the printer is no longer in the list of printers available to print.
No, wait, i just didn't see it, it is there and it says used or counterfeit cartridge
have always used oem
also says yellow is depleted, trying to print red.
printer was still trying to copy and i could not x out, so i shut if off and turned back on.
Now it says it's printing, but is just spinning on the little screen.
forgot to mention i tried reprinting a different document that is b/w

With the printer powered on, remove the power cord from the back.

Wait 2 minutes

Plug back in the power cord and power it on

Do you still have the error?

it finally printed the first copy in red, but totally illegible,meaning very faint and letters not clear.

Wait 2 minutes

Do you still have the error?

unplugged for 2 like you said, powered back on like you said. Tried another print with b/w and the bw worked, so I guess i need ink. I am going to try with my laptop next

Let me know

It will not print from my laptop, the original problem was from there, then could not get to print from the desktop, which now seems to be fixed.
Not seeing an error message on my laptop for the print job, and still not printing.
Did I lose you?

Uninstall the printer from the laptop then install it back

Could you give me some direction on how to do that exactly?

Which operating system is on the laptop?

windows 10

To connect to a printer on a network, select the Start button, then select Settings > Devices > Add a printer or scanner. Choose the one you want and select Add device.

do I need to uninstall first, or does reinstalling it automatically uninstall it as well?

When you see your printer listed in the Devices, you can right click then Delete/Uninstall

OK, got it removed, how about re-installation?

select the Start button, then select Settings > Devices > Add a printer or scanner. Choose the one you want and select Add device.

the printer isn't listed?

Is the printer connected via Wi-Fi or directly plugged in?

wifi

It sounds like the printer is not connected to Wi-Fi

On the printer, make sure it is still connected to Wi-Fi

It is connected to my desktop by wifi, and that is how I got my test document to print, so I'm pretty sure it is connected. But I'll go make sure.
it is connected!

Now go back and try to add the printer

it still does not show up in the list.

Press Windows key and R together

Type in: control panel then press enter

Click on Devices & Printers then Add Printer

the printer does not show up, (still).

Click here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-photosmart-6520-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5169038/model/5169040

Click on Download next to the driver software then run the software to start the installation

Got the software downloaded, and thought i was going to get connected, but it says it could not find the printer when i in put the ip address for getting connected.It says i might not be on the same network.I have my laptop joined to my network as a guest and I had printed from my laptop previously, so not sure wht to do at this point???

No, you should not be putting in the IP address.

You need to run the software and it will walk you through how to connect to the printer via the software using the Wi-Fi option.

Yes, you can enter it there.

which is what i did and it responded with a message that it cannot find the printer, possibly due to being on a different network, then i went on to explain that my laptop is on the "guest" side of my network, but I have printed from this computer before, and so I'm not sure what to do at this point.Here is the message i sent to you:
"30 December 2017 10:51Got the software downloaded, and thought i was going to get connected, but it says it could not find the printer when i in put the ip address for getting connected.It says i might not be on the same network.I have my laptop joined to my network as a guest and I had printed from my laptop previously, so not sure wht to do at this point???" and here is your response "No, you should not be putting in the IP address.You need to run the software and it will walk you through how to connect to the printer via the software using the Wi-Fi option." And now you are saying to put in the ip address, so I am very confused.
any further suggestions?
running a few errands, be back in an hour

If your laptop or printer is on the guest network and the other device is on the other network then it won't work

Can you help me to connect to my main network?
OK, both computers and printer are on same wireless network. Laptop is still not printing.

Is the printer on the same network as the two computers?