Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Cannon MX922 all-in-one printer. Pages are printed…

Customer Question
I have a Cannon...

I have a Cannon MX922 all-in-one printer. Pages are printed with a combination of black with some red even though I have never directed a color copy. I have performed the various maintenance procedures but no change. Help please.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

A Dell laptop computer

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MX922?

Several weeks.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Never. How is that to be done?

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No. Thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
12/29/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

The printer actually prints with all colors together to reinforce the black and make it darker. That should not be apparently visible, but if some of the black nozzles are not firing, then the color will come through more clearly.

You can (again) try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer