Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My router failed, so I had to get a new one. Now the brother…

Customer Question
My router failed, so...

My router failed, so I had to get a new one. Now the brother hl-3170 cdw won't print. how do I make it work with new router?

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wireless

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Who knows? printer is only about 6 months old. Isn't it just a matter of pairing with new router name and password?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
12/28/2017
Technician: Jon, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 months ago
Jon
Jon, Computer Support Specialist

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Yes, since you have a new router, you would need to setup the wifi on the printer for this new router. Therefore, here is what to do on the printer itself:

1. Click the OK button
  2. use the down arrow to navigate to "NETWORK"
  3. Press OK
  4. Choose "WLAN"
  5. Press OK
  6. Press down arrow and select "SETUP WIZARD"
  7. Press OK
  8. It may ask to "enable WLAN"
  9. Press the UP arrow to TURN it ON
  10. The printer should then search for the SSID which is your home wifi network name
  11. Use the down or up arrows to navigate through the network names until you find the name of yours
  12. Press OK on your network name
  13. The printer should then ask for your network wifi password
  14. Using the UP and DOWN arrows will help you navigate through all the characters, letters, numbers, etc. Be patient as I know it may be time consuming this part. As you cycle through the characters, there are also lower and upper case as that is important. You can also hold down the up or down arrows to cycle through all the individual characters faster
  15. When you find a character, press OK and repeat until the entire password ***** *****
  16. After, you typed in the complete password, press OK
  17. It should ask if you would like to save the settings, Press theUP arrow for YES
  18. It should then say connecting to WLAN and will say connected if successful.

I know it looks like a lot but go slow and do one step at a time. If you have any questions along the way let me know. Once these steps are done you should be good as you should already have the printer setup on your computer before but we may need to reinstall that part as well just let me know when you have the printer connected to the wifi before we continue.

Thanks.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.