Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

MY HP PRINTER 7510 WILL NOT PRINT IN BLACK. I HAVE PUT IN…

Customer Question
HI, MY HP PRINTER...

HI, MY HP PRINTER 7510 WILL NOT PRINT IN BLACK. I HAVE PUT IN NEW CARTRIDEGS BUT NOTHING PRINTS IN BLACK. I HAVE TRIED TO CLEAN THE CARTRIDGES BUT THAT DIDN'T HELP. ANY SUGGESTIONS? FROM JON HENDRICKS ***@******.***

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your 7510: wirelessly or by USB?

USB

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I HAVEN'T

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
12/28/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

It is normal to see the black nozzles fail first as they get the most use, especially on a printer this old.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.