Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have an older HP 1040 (Aug 2005) that has given me

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older HP 1040 (Aug 2005) that has given me exceptional service since then, but I am now experiencing a problem with printing. If I print a standard margin page, I get a faint ink line, about 1/4 inch on the right side of the page. If I try to print a narrow margin, I get a very heavy ink deposit on the right side. Is there something I can do to the printer to clean it or is it too late?

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

UBS

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Good question? I don't recall every doing this. How do I update the driver software.? You are dealing with a Senior-Senior citizen, so keep it simple. Thanks

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No. I appreciate your help. Thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Printers
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/27/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 1 month ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Exactly what model 1040 you have is important, but it might be the FAX 1040 perhaps.

If there is a line that is always on the page, regardless of whether it is printed from a computer, or photocopied, or is a printed-out fax, then you have a problem with the cartridge in the 1040.

If it only shows up on photocopied things, not on printed nor on faxes received (but the other end reports it on sent faxes), then you have a dirty spot on the scanner that reads the pages - or perhaps a defective scanner bar period, about that point.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My HP-1040 is strictly a Laser Jet Printer. The dusky line is always on the right side of the page, about a 1/4 in in width. I have tried two different cartridges and I still have the line. If I'm printing a narrow page with the normal margin to the left, I only get a faint line If I print a page full of data that covers the whole page, I get a heavier dark line on the right. I read somewhere that the printer cylinder is self-cleaning. If so, what can I do to correct the cylinder? Clean it or just give up? and if can be cleaned, how do I do that?

If either toner cartridge is leaking toner, it will take at least 10 pages of the other toner cartridge to correct the problem and 'use up' the excess/leaked toner.

Would you like instructions for cleaning? it is exacting as tasks go, and if precautions are not observed, damage to the printer involving some expense can happen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I give up. I will try to find a different Laser Jet that fits my needs. Bye

Would you like instructions for cleaning? it is exacting as tasks go, and if precautions are not observed, damage to the printer involving some expense can happen.If you would rate my work on your problem before you go, that would be appreciated. Good luck with whatever course you choose - and if you need more help later on or tomorrow, just post to this question and ask, and welcome.
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech