Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I use BP 511 battery pack in my canon EOS 10D camera. I have…

Customer Question
I use BP 511...

I use BP 511 battery pack in my canon EOS 10D camera. I have 2 such packs. After charging, even overnight, I cannot get them to charge more than 1/4 full. Are they defective?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

Use in camera, not printer

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your 10D?

Just started, although I have not used it for at least 6 months.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Never

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

It is not a printer

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
12/25/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The battery packs, if they register as 1/4 charged even with a long charge of 5 hours or longer, are almost certainly defective - *if* they are also over 1 1/3 years in-use or as measured from their date of purchase.

Rechargeable batteries do fail with time. All technologies and types (and there are several different types) of rechargeable batteries for small or portable batteries do fail with time, though usually only after 1 1/3 years or longer (with rare exceptions.) They fail either by not holding enough charge, or not delivering enough voltage/current, to power a device for the usual period.

Try buying one new battery of the type your EOS 10D camera requires... charge it for the first time after getting it, for over 6 hours or overnight on the charger (to overcome 'polarization' or similar effect common in batteries that have been unused on the shelf for some time.)

I hope that proves to solve the problem. If not, you would have a defective battery charger, or possibly defective circuitry (charging, or battery level sensing) in the camera - which is why I advise you to try only one new battery or battery pack, first... to make quite sure where the fault lies.

Note: if the camera has been unused for 6 months, perhaps the batteries need prolonged charging - but you say you have charged them overnight already, so that's not something that needs to be done again.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.