Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I'm having a print quality issue with my Ricoh SP C430DN…

Customer Question
Hello, I'm having a...

Hello, I'm having a print quality issue with my Ricoh SP C430DN color laser printer. When I print a multi-colored page, the cyan and magenta colors are weak (or fading) on a 1-inch vertical band in the middle of the page. I've replaced the PDU (drum) but the problem continues.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your Ricoh printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wired, networked.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Not an issue. The demo/test print on the printer does the same thing.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I've taken the "old" cyan and magenta drum to another C430DN printer and the printout is perfect.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
12/25/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 1 month ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
There is more than one drum in this printer. Be sure to try replacing either the cyan or the magenta drums... that will be more likely to help, than replacing any other drum, or (perhaps) the black drum.

For reference:

http://www.precisionroller.com/drum-units-for-ricoh-aficio-sp-c430dn/products.html

Incidentally: if the drum you replaced was the black drum, keep the 'old' black drum, in foil packaging that the new one came in - you may re-use it, it may be useful later.

To be even more sure of getting the repair right: check the surface of e.g. the cyan drum, though you should not touch it, before ordering a new one... there should be a faintly visible (or, not so faintly visible) striping on it, in the corresponding position.

It must be a cyan and/or magenta drum that is the problem, I think, if it only shows in those colors... but print a page of solid yellow, and a page of solid black, to make quite sure. No stripe on yellow nor on black pages? those two colors / drums are OK.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just saw your response. What I've done prior was to create two pages in powerpoint. One page with solid colors of cyan, magenta, black and yellow going across the page multiple times. This page confirmed the problem with only the cyan and magenta colors. Another page was just yellow and black across the page. No faded band at all! Then I took the "problem" PDUs (magenta and cyan) to another C430DN and printed the same thing. No fading issue!! I've actually tried replacing the magenta PDU with a brand new unit already but no success either. Any other ideas?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've also inspected the "problem" drums and their is no discoloration on the image roller where the page fading is occurring. I've seen these discoloration before on other B/W drums when printouts are not clear.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've also checked the toner level. It is not low. I've printed over thirty pages in test pages. Cyan and magenta is solid except for the faded 1" vertical band in the middle (a little to the left of middle).
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Same spot every single page. No variation.

Please post a scan of one of the printouts of colors showing the spot or defect. You can Add or append the scanned file to your Reply, and it will post just after your reply does.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get the pics?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm beginning to see that the yellow has a slight discoloration too on the multicolor printout.But on the yellow and black only page, it looks perfect.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
These were printed right after each other. Two pages in a powerpoint file.

Clearly a problem that is much worse in cyan and in magenta.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replaced the intermediate transfer unit today. But no difference either.

If the problem is only or mainly in the magenta and in the cyan colors, then it is a problem primarily or altogether in the cyan and magenta sections or its parts. The intermediate transfer unit, if common to all colors, would not be where the fault is, of course.

I suggest trying to fix magenta first of all, and if an approach there fixes magenta, it will likely fix cyan also. (And perhaps the faint trace of a problem in the yellow section, too, after that.)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree but how do you suggest I fix the magenta? I have already replaced the magenta PDU/DRUM. No difference.

OK... What else is in the magenta section then, I suggest considering - ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
considering...? What else is there?

You could do a cleaning and inspection in detail, to find out what's odd about the magenta and cyan sections of the printer.

It is usual, with all laser printer problems, to Open, Inspect, Clean (carefully), Close Up, and Try Again.

Open: Unplug the machine for safety. Get access to the internal workings, esp. those of the problem area. Remove cartridge(s) if necessary.

Inspect: look for anything wrong or odd in the problem area. Spilled toner? bent or broken parts? stuck sensor switch? tabs or tape not removed from toner cartridge(s)?

Clean (carefully): Take a dry white or light colored high-quality lint-free rag cloth, and wipe firmly all possible plastic or especially metal surfaces that could have toner/paper dust/fluff/anything on them. Carefully, to avoid touching, spraying, moistening, abrading, or exposing to direct light for longer than 1 minute out of 15 or more, the shiny, usually blue-green (but sometimes red-purple) photosensitive 'drum' or roller, which is easily damaged.

Close up: put everything back in, close covers, etc.

Try again: plug in, turn on.

- Let me know what you observe or find out. There may be more to do for the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Took out the pdus, toners and ITU and did a thorough cleaning and vacuuming with a toner vacuum cleaner. Wipe down as carefully as possible. Took over an hour. Put it all back and there was barely any improvement. What's next? I'm about to give up!

Did you see anything about magenta's section / components, that differed from black's components, esp. leaked toner amounts perhaps?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nope. They were all similarly dirty. Nothing stood out that indicated any difference between magenta and black.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe it is time to call Ricoh services.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unless you have more ideas?

Perhaps Ricoh is indeed needed for this case... unfortunately.

But if 'all equally dirty', that in itself is not a good sign. Toner shouldn't leak... perhaps in the black section it simply hasn't reached the parts that cause stripes, yet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Russell, I'm torn on how to rate your services. You have been most friendly and you have continued to push me to be methodical in my approach. However, you have not shown me anything I don't already know and the problem was not resolved.

That's a shame (I mean the part about not showing anything not already known.) I feel I should give you another chance at advice better suited, so I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category. Thank you for working with me on this so far.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech