Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

One day my printer was working and the next day it was not.

Customer Question
Hi. One day...

Hi. One day my printer was working and the next day it was not. I have removed it and reinstalled it several times.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wirelessly.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I have no idea when nor how to do that.

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/24/2017
Technician: Jason Jones, Technician replied 7 months ago
Jason Jones, Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

Which problem are you having when you attempt to install the printer?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

It has been installed for a long time now. It has just stopped working. When I give it the print command from my Chromebook, it acts like it is going to print and then an error message comes up that says it didn't print.

Are you having this problem on a Windows computer, a Mac computer, or on a Chromebook that runs Chrome OS?

Why can't you connect remotely? Running on a Chromebook.
Are you still there?

I am still here. I am not going anywhere.

Can you print wireless from any other computer on your wireless network?

There are no other computers connected, however, I can't print from my android phone either.

In that case, are you certain that the printer is connected to your wireless network? P

I'm sure. When I print out the wireless network test results, it says no problems found. Successful setup of your wireless printer.
One day it was working fine and the next it was not.

In that case, you may need to reinstall the printer instance on the Chromebook.

Please, follow the instructions for adding your printer on the Chromebook: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-set-up-google-print-on-your-chromebook

On step 8, choose the option to "Add a classic printer" and continue from there.

After that is all done, are you able to print to the printer?

I am still unable to print. What to do now?

Were you able to follow those instructions with no problems?

As far as I know. When I got to the page, it said my printer was already installed. I am so frustrated.
Can you not connect remotely?

Okay, so you didn't complete the instructions and re-add the printer instance.

Can you try again?

What do you mean printer instance?

You can ignore that term.

Well, it says my printer is already installed.

Please, remove the printer installation and reinstall it.

You cannot connect remotely?
OK. I'll try.

Thank you

I'm so sorry. Where my printer is listed, there is nothing to allow me to remove it and reinstall it.

Can you click the "X" next to the printer?

There is no x next to the printer.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Technician: Joel Kalman, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello. My name is Joel. I am sorry that you have been having difficulties. I can help you solve your problem if you still need assistance.

What are the make and model of your printer?

Hi, Joel. Thank you for responding. Hopefully you can help. Bless Jason's heart, he tried, but it still doesn't work. My printer is an HP ENVY 4520. Whatever happened, happened overnight with no one even awake. The printer has worked for a couple of years and then all of a sudden it's like it's not communicating with the computer.

Can you connect remotely?

No, there is no way to connect remotely to a Chromebook. All the time that you worked with the previous expert you never told him what the make and model of your printer were. The method of connection depends upon whether your printer is a Cloud-ready printer or a Classic printer.

I'm not sure I know how to know that. I assume it is a classic.
All I know for sure is it has been connected for at least a couple of years working fine, and then all of a sudden overnight it doesn't print.

I cannot find your printer from the information that you have provided. What are the make and model of your printer? The model name and number should be embossed on the front of the printer.

HP Envy 4520
HP ENVY all-in-one printer series
4520
Thank you for your time, however, I don't think my problem is going to be solved. The printer has been working for a long time and all of a sudden wasn't, so I'm certain it was connected properly. I just don't know what happened overnight. I am signing off and will request a refund since my problem has not been solved. I will wish you Merry Christmas.

I think you are right about that. Your printer seems to be a Classic printer rather than a Cloud-ready printer, which means that the previous expert had you do everything correctly. I would conclude that the wireless function on your printer has, in all probability, failed. If you want to confirm that after Christmas, there are ways to do that independently of the trials that you have already conducted. Merry Christmas!