Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have just purchased a new HP Photosmart C309g

Customer Question
I have just purchased...

I have just purchased a new HP Photosmart C309g All-One-Printer W/Duplex to replace an exact same unit that I have used with a desk top computer using a Windows XP 32 bit operating system. Reading the HP packaging box. Before I open it I see some operating disclaimers on the box with comments about operating system limits. Can I use this printer as an exact replace for the C309 that I purchased several years ago that has worked very good until two weeks ago when the mechanical printer failed both as a scanner printer and computer controller using a USB cable connection.

Technician's Assistant: Is there an error code on your PHOTOSMART C309G when you try to scan?

I have already typed my inquiry on this message inquiry. Please contact me by telephone at 1-***-***-****. These mickey mouse windows don't work very well? I will not open the HP carton box if you have tinkered the original printer files for this printer.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I never had to and I have taken the computer printer off line to prevent on line virus and other invasions from scammers. It is a clean stand alone computer / printer that I use for secure financial records.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
12/24/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

You need to uininstall the currently installed HP on any computer, then install the new one. Printers have a specific MAC Address code each one, which is part of the installation of the printer; so even if the replacement is an exact duplicate to the model #, it will not work with the old printer's configuration because of the different MAC Address.

Next, the considerations for Windows and MAC OS X versions for that model of HP are as follows:

HP provides drivers for printing for these version ranges:

- Windows: from Windows XP, through Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 - all have drivers for printing issued by HP.

- MAC OS X: from 10.4 to 10.6, drivers are provided by HP. Beyond those version upward to 10.12, any use or installation of this HP printer model must depend upon the built-in drivers or drivers obtained from Apple Update.

There is no chance of my doing anything to the printer files for this printer. But they won't work with the replacement nor any replacement, owing to MAC Address limitations in the software, that intend any driver installation for one and only one individual printer, for certain reasons.

The page to download any drivers needed for any Windows (and the few covered MAC OS X) versions, is here:

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-photosmart-premium-all-in-one-printer-series-c309/3984414/model/3793675

I hope that this answer addresses all your needs with regard to the points in your question.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.