Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

How can I print remotely on my Canon MF 220 from my Apple…

Customer Question
How can I print...

How can I print remotely on my Canon MF 220 from my Apple MacBook air

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your Canon printer: wirelessly or by USB?

From my main computer by USB

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Not sure

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Printers
12/22/2017
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 1 month ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Before we proceed with any troubleshooting,please once printer your device from the wall outlet wait for 2 minutes and plug it back in.
Let me know when this is done.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
done
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my iMac is connected to my printer via USB
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 1 month ago

Great, Please wait meanwhile I compose instructions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My MacBook is in another room. I have a local wifi network
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 1 month ago

I understand that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 1 month ago
  1. Configure your printer for use
    Use the Print & Scan system preferences to set up the printer on your Mac. It can be a locally attached printer, or a networked printer, but you need to have it configured as a device your Mac can use.
  2. Share the printer
    Now use the Sharing system preferences to enable printer sharing on the network, and then enable the newly configured printer. By default everyone can print to a shared printer, but you can add access restrictions in this preference pane that only allow your account to print.
  3. Enable iCloud
    If you do not have an Apple iCloud account, then create one and configure your system to use it. You do not need to use all of Apple's services, but you will need this to be able to locate your computer from anywhere you have Internet access.
  4. Enable Back To My Mac
    Now enable the Back To My Mac service in iCloud, which will allow your system to be located from any other Mac you have configured with iCloud.

With this setup, the printer should be accessible remotely. You will now need to sign into iCloud on your remote Mac, and from there can similarly add a new printer. When you do this, in the printer selector you should see your Mac's shared printer listed as a "Bonjour Shared" printer and have a name that includes the printer name and the computer name (e.g., "Printer_Name @ Computer_Name"), which you can add to your system.

Once the printer is added, you should be able to print away. However, do keep in mind the printer will only be available when you are logged into iCloud, and only available if the computer hosting the printer is on. If you decide to turn off iCloud on either system, or turn off Back To My Mac on the system with the shared printer, printing will no longer work.

John, Computer Science Engineer