Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

CANON MX 492 PIXMA CHANGED CARTRIDGES NOW GIVING ME ERROR…

Customer Question
CANON MX 492 PIXMA...

CANON MX 492 PIXMA CHANGED CARTRIDGES NOW GIVING ME ERROR CODE5BO4 IVE UNPLUGGED WAITED 15 MIN AND SAME

Technician's Assistant: Is your Pixma displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

YES

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

WORK PRINTER DONT KNOW

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" has failed. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 6 year old model, that was built for a service life of no more than 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer